Sunday, February 19, 2012

How many tears?

How many tears can one person shed in one day? Don’t they eventually run out? I can’t seem to console myself tonight and I’m not sure what will help so I’m trying this. I feel like I have so many thoughts, and if I get some of them out there I hope I can be done thinking and grieving over it. I’ve been a little hesitant to be so open, but I know the people that love me will be the ones to understand and support me and I don’t have time to care about the other people who just want to gossip. This is therapeutic for me and what is the point of going through trials if we aren’t able to help others from what we have gone through. Many people that have gone through something similar have been there to shed light for me and I hope by being open I can help others. I know this is only the beginning of my journey but it’s my journey and I don’t want to do it alone so here we go!

My marriage has been on the rocks for many months now due to some issues with trust and communication. Most of them if not all issues were a complete shock and devastation to me. We have been married for almost 4 years and there have been so many wonderful memories and happy times. We started dating my senior year in high school and have pretty much been soul mates since then. Brett is the only person I have loved and was certainly my best friend. This summer we felt our relationship was better than it had ever been and decided it was time to start our family. It was a scary decision but we both prayed about it and felt peace. This baby was 100% planned and we wanted her to complete our family. Seven months later we are getting a divorce (it’s such an ugly word I hate saying it). The last seven months are a blur I don’t understand any of it and I have no answers to your questions. I have spent so much time on my knees pleading with the Lord to fix this. I was willing to endure and change just to be with my husband. Despite the pain and heartache he caused me I needed him and I needed him for this baby. I have come to realize that people change and I thought we were changing in the same direction but that hasn’t been the case.

When something was so good it makes it incredibly difficult to let go. We have been separated since mid December and I miss so many things about him. I miss having a “home”, my “home” has just become a house. I hate being lonely and just not used to it. I miss constant communication with him. I didn’t realize how much we talk during the day until it’s not there anymore. I forget sometimes and reach for my phone to text “I love you” or see what he is doing. I miss seeing the happy goofy Brett. I miss wearing my beautiful wedding ring. It feels so wrong to not wear anything there. About 100 times a day I realize that nothing is there and it takes my breath away. I feel like every day is a constant battle to fight the tears. I miss his affection and his gentle touch. I miss sitting next to him at church and hearing his beautiful voice. Okay you get the picture I miss my husband more than words can express. I wish that missing him were enough to make things better, but it’s not.

(I miss this terribly and wish many times a day I could just relive this happiness for a moment)


I knew I loved Brett and wanted to marry him before he went on his mission, which made him leaving very difficult for the both of us. I hate that I was in that situation I didn’t want to be that girl but I loved him so deeply and couldn’t make it go away. When he left I acted strong for him but inside I was crying every day. I felt so sick I couldn’t eat at first I was a total mess. I felt like he was such a part of me and I just didn’t know how to breath without him and especially for two years. I may have an issue with attaching to things more than is healthy but that is who I am, I’m emotional and passionate. When we got married one thing I said over and over again was I was so happy I never had to let him go and be without him ever again. Eternity wasn’t going to be long enough for me. Now I have to let go again and it hurts worse than the first time. I feel so much grief for my baby girl. I don’t ever want to see her shed one tear because of the struggles of split parents, but I know it’s inevitable. I feel like I’m grieving for all my family that adored Brett. It breaks my heart when they tell me how much they loved him and are really going to miss him.

I have had to put all my trust in my Savior. I don’t understand why my life had to be like this, and I don’t understand what is in store for me, so there is nothing left to do but just trust. All I listen to in my car is the same church CD over and over again because sometimes that all I can do to give me strength to put one foot in front of the other. I hope if I can continue to live my life in accordance with the gospel and be a good mother I will be blessed. It’s hard to wait for those blessings because I feel so lonely and broken now, but in the scope of eternity this is only a small moment. I’ve been so blessed to have amazing friends and family that help me stay positive and keep my chin up. One friend sent me this quote and I love it.

"It isn't as bad as you sometimes think it is, It all works out. Don't worry. I say that to myself every morning. It will all work out. If you do your best, it will all work out. Put your trust in God, and move forward with faith and confidence in the future. The Lord will not forsake us."--President Gordon B. Hinckley

I love my Savior and know that he doesn’t want me to cry or be unhappy. I know he is just a prayer away to comfort me and I can do hard things with him by my side.

Despite finding ourselves on two different paths I hope we will both be able to find happiness in our life. We are both excited for the birth of our baby girl and all I can ask is that we are able to give her the love that she needs.

I have much more to express, but it's late and I know I need my sleep to be able to tackle tomorrow. So here goes the dreaded hour of laying still and letting my thoughts consume me until I get so tired I fall asleep.

With Love

Mickenzie


P.S. I do not expect readers to comment or console me. I just needed someone to listen and that became my dear blog. I know this is awkward and difficult for everyone. The thing I need the most is a smiling friend!



11 comments:

  1. McKenzie I can't help but comment, to simply let you know that I will be praying for you. (Jennifer Johns)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too (Ditto what Jennifer said). We love you guys and that quote by President Hinckley says it all. It will all work out. Sending prayers and loving thoughts your way. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you so much Kenz! If you ever need anything even just to talk I'm always here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Mickenzie, we love you and your family so much! You're in our thoughts and prayers, and even though it must be unbearable right now, the quote is right. It WILL get better. There were so many nights that we spent praying, wondering---pleading if we'd be able to keep our little baby in our family (I know its not the same struggle, but here we are almost a year later and still in the same struggle) and all that got us through it was knowing how great our God is! It's not that he has forgotten you, he just has something so much better planned than you could ever imagine right now. I am glad that you are so surrounded by friends and family that will pick you up, and carry you when you feel like you can't take one more step. Lots of love and prayers to you, and your beautiful baby girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to comment as well. Ditto to all these comments. We didn't know you too well in our ward up at the university because you guys were in the nursery most of the time, but I did know and do know that you have a strong testimony. Just try to stay positive, things will get better, and don't put too much stress on your baby. You will be in our thoughts and prayers as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mickenzie, we love you and you are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry to hear about the painful experience you are going through. No one tells you how hard this marriage thing can be. You are such a strong and amazing person and are going to be a wonderful mother. Your family loves you always and we are here for you. If you ever need a listening ear please don't hesitate to call me. (573-7968) I can promise you I don't have any answers but I do know how to listen and sometimes that is what we need. We love you and can't wait to welcome your little angel into our family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know I have told you this already, but I am going to tell you again!! How very proud of you I am, and the Women you are. You are stronger than you know it, You can do this babe, and you have all of us their to help. You have my number darlin...I hope you continue to use it:)) LOVE YA!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mickenzie, I am so sorry to hear about all of the pain that you have been going through. I can't even imagine what a difficult time this must be. You are right-stay close to the Lord and he will bless you and give you strength. What a strong testimony you have :) My thoughts and prayers are with you that you will be comforted.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mickenzie, I have watched you traverse this life experience with grace and dignity. You have taken the high road more times than anyone would expect you to. I have been inspired by the love, compassion and forgiveness you have shown to the one person who has hurt you so deeply. I found this post to be very respectful and kind considering all the has happened.
    I read the 2 posts from KGreen and want to respond. Who ever you are, I have a few thoughts for you. First, her husband is leaving her and she is 7 months pregnant. Second, I spend every day with Mickenzie and she is not looking for a pity party. If she wants to share this information on her blog, she has every right. It is HER blog. If you don't like it then dont read it. If you want to leave a mean comment then have the guts to identify yourself. She did not make Brett look bad. It is what it is.
    I found it interesting that you said, "Having been through a lot in my life, I know that the "anonymity" provided by going online to talk bad about someone is not healing", yet you can leave a comment like that and be anonymous? I have been through a lot in my life too and here is what I have learned-
    The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen.
    -Elizabeth Kubler Ross
    Mickenzie is a beautiful person. You however did not show sensitivity, understanding, compassion, gentleness or loving concern.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have so much faith and a beautiful perspective.

    ReplyDelete