Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Idaho Business Leader of the Year

It doesn't seem life has slowed down much since the big event, but hopefully I can get caught up soon. For a year now I have been in charge of planning this "Business Leader of the Year" event. It really was another part time job but now looking back I really enjoyed it. The process began by seeking nominations and then we had to pick a winner. Then came the crazy part planning everything. I had help of about 20 people in the fraternity, but sometimes it seemed like more work to coordinate everything. I wanted it be a perfect event so I was really picky about everything and I'm glad I put so much work into it.

The event began early Wednesday morning with the executives from Dykman Electrical speaking in classes. Then came lunch time and I was in charge of the food we had soup bowls and 4 different kinds of soup. Then in the evening we had a social bowling night with the executives and the brothers. It was really cool to see the executives let their hair down and have a good time. We even got some dancing out of them.


Thursday began with breakfast and then more speaking in classes. We had a panel discussion for the whole university in the Bengal Theatre followed by a catered luncheon. After the luncheon all the brothers went to the performing arts center to set up for the banquet.
After scrabling to decorate the tables put the flower arrangements together then we all ran home to get ready. At this point I felt like a chicken with my head cut off. The banquet began with a reception with open bar that the Unviersity Presidents office puts on. Then the dinner and program started. The event was attended by 200 people made up of, faculty, recipient supporters and community sponsors. This year we sold 10 sponsorships at $600 each; I'm really proud of the fratnerity for this.

Me speaking
Presenting Allen with his award during the Banquet
Myself with Dixie and Allen
The Fraternity with Dixie and Allen Dykman

All in all it was a ton of work but so worth it at the same time. I got my name out there with many company exceutives in attendance and it just felt good. After it was over I felt so relieved and proud of myself for pulling this off. Many people like the previous Dean of the College of Business said he thought it was the best one yet. That means so much because this is an event that has been going on for over 50 years and the dean himself has been to at least 10 of them. I wish I could do something like this for a living I loved it.

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing. All the things that you can do. WOW! Oh, hey do you still have the pictures of the triplets?

    ReplyDelete