Monday, July 25, 2011

Astoria, Oregon

On the fifth day we took a short trip up to Astoria to check out some cool locations. First we stopped at this shipwreck on the beach. Most of the ship in sunk into the sand so you can imagine how large it was. It run off course and ended up getting beached about 60 years ago. It made me feel a little like a pirate :)




Next we stopped at an old military fort that protected the columbia river in world war II. It was really interesting to see and a little creepy. We were the only ones there and it's a huge bunker that you can just get lost in.


After that we went to the place where Lewis and Clark had their winter camp. I'm not a big history person but I still thought it was cool to see. It seems so long ago and more like a story to me than something that actually happened. It was cool to stand in the place that Lewis and Clark lived, who really changed the world, changed our country forever.

We had to go climb the Astoria Column. It's this very tall column in Astoria that was built to commemorate the History. There are so many stairs that it made me very motion sick you just feel like your twirling in circles in a never ended staircase.
We had to take this picture because I have a picture just like this with my cousin bryce from the first time I visited when I was about 8. We are pretty hilarious I know :)


Us on top of the column. It was so crazy windy up there but the view was amazing. The bridge behind us goes to Washington.

We went and walked through this really old mansion. It was owned by a sea captain that would drive boats through the sandbar in the columbia during the 1800's. He was a huge influence in Astoria and pretty much ran the whole town. His house has since been donated to a historical society so we got to go through it. I love old stuff and seeing all their original furniture and belongings and picturing how things would have been. I would absolutely die to live in that house it was so cool.
My hubby is so cute I really love him!

In one of the little girls room they had old dresses that you could try on so I took an old picture of Kayla and Breanna


I've never actually seen Goonies but for those of you that have this is the goonies house. Brett was pretty excited. I'm pretty sure the purple trim is a new addition.


We stopped for a little break to check out this cool old cannery on the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment